Azerbaijan - Entry Visa Now Required for Business and Work Trips
Foreign nationals must now obtain a business or work visa prior to travel, depending on their intended activities, and can no longer enter under a tourist visa and apply for the proper status in country.
Previously, foreign nationals could enter under an electronic tourist visa and apply for a work permit and temporary residence permit in country.
This new entry system allows the immigration authorities to more strictly regulate entry for business and work purposes.
New business entry visa categories:
The following key categories of business travelers staying in Azerbaijan for up to 90 days must now obtain a business e-visa or business entry visa (if they do not qualify for an e-visa) prior to entry:
- Those seeking to conduct qualifying business activities;
- Highly-qualified specialists in economics, industry, science, etc.;
- Those investing at least AZN 500,000 in Azerbaijan; and
New work entry visa categories
The following key categories of foreign nationals seeking to work in Azerbaijan must now obtain a work e-visa, or work entry visa (if they do not qualify for an e-visa) prior to entry:
- Those planning to work in Azerbaijan under a work permit;
- Heads or deputy heads of a branch office or representative office;
- Heads or deputy heads of legal entities established in Azerbaijan with a foreign founder; and
Dependent family members must obtain a private visit entry visa.
Implications for foreign nationals
Obtaining a work/business e-visa or entry visa requires more supporting documents than a tourist visa application. Applications will be processed as fast as a tourist visa application, and use of the e-visa system for qualifying nationals should limit delays.
Foreign nationals may face additional scrutiny upon entry and when filing work/temporary residence permit applications.